wrenching on a '96 Cummins

I'm doing some work on a '96 2500 4x4 with Cummins. Seems like everything I wanna do is mostly hidden by the vacuum brake system or hidden under the
injection pump.
I tried to adjust my idle today. I got the 10mm jamnut on bottom loose, but never was able to adjust the idle bolt. I was thinking about taking loose the fenderwell inner liner to give better access. Is this a good idea?
The inner fenderwell liner has some kind of plastic fasteners attaching it in place -- almost looks like a rivet of some kind. It has a tiny circle in the middle of the fastener about as big as a pencil lead. ?? Do I have to drill these to remove them??
If this gives good access, I was thinking maybe needed to modify the inner liner to have some kind of easy access port. Anyone done this??

No, but you do have to get something in there (I use a thin Phillips screwdriver) to punch them loose. They're like plastic pop-rivets, and unfortunately, aren't re-usable.

Sure... just get some of those sheetmetal clips that allow you to thread a screw through them, like these: http://www.harrison-silverdale.co.uk/type.asp?id (4
Put those clips in the holes wehre the plastic fasteners came out, and when you put your liner back up, use some screws with nice wide heads (or use washers - but a one-piece screw is easier).
You don't have to do any of that. Get your right arm thru the mess and then with your left hand pull on the throttle to take the spring pressure off the idle adjuster. You can turn it easy enough. The trick, at least for me, is to use a short wrench. Go to a auto parts store, Wallyworld, etc... and buy a cheap $3 wrench set. Cut each in half and then round the sharp edges over. Works for me without removing anything. John

ps how many miles do you have on yours and how is it running? John
Midlant wrote:

140K miles. The Cummins runs excellent.
I'm having steering wandering that no mechanic seems to be able to solve. Three different Dodge mechanics have looked at the front end and made many repairs. Still wanders.
Sounds normal. It's a real 4x4 life axle, not IFS. They drive like they're supposed. Not like a car or 2x4 truck. I've replaced most everything in the steering as the joints have worn out, but you may have a ways to go. Your truck is still low mileage in sorts. I had to rebuild my auto tranny at 122k miles. Then the track bar, then front steering as things went bad. Mine now as 205k on it.

If this is a 2WD check A frame anchors. On my 89 the rivets tore out.