00 Punto Dead battery - connected with power steering failure ?

Hi. My girlfriends 2000 Punto S had a red-flashing steering-wheel button appearing on and off for the last number of weeks. In the manual this indicated a power-steering failure. There was no noticeable difference in the steering, just the red light on the dash.

Now the battery is dead. I can get the car started on a push, but the power-steering is totally gone. It's like driving a tank !

I know the PS on a Punto is electrical, so could these be connected ?

Also, it seems due to the PS being electrical, there is no PS fluid required (probably because this is only needed in a hydraulic system). Can someone confirm this ?

Thanks !

Reply to
furry