1.9 diesel Scudo gone very noiisy

Travelling home, my engine suddenly turned from a very quiet diesel to a rattly one. I called out AA and mechanic said it was probably an electrical fault in
engine management and motor had reverted back to a std diesel with knocking and rattling from the left hand side when looking in the bonnet. Took it to main dealer and the mechanic could find nothing wrong ?? But I know it is a lot louder now than it used to be. Any ideas please. ( 12months old & 12K miles)
--
regards
Smudge