124 Spider V8 Conversion

I am getting ready to attempt to install a Dodge 318 and auto. trans. in my '75 124 Spider. Does anyone have any info. or advice on how to do this successfully? Are there any books out there that kind of guide the way for this??

--Rich

Reply to
Cindy

"Cindy" schreef in bericht news:zqmdnT snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Don't, put a Dodge in. Put a Ferrari v8 in, if that is possible, than it stays in the "family".

Reply to
EnTee

"Cindy" schreef in bericht news:zqmdnT snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Don't, because there will be no suspension left at all... ;-(

Reply to
E-Cie

I wouldn't put a cast iron V8 in anything European. I'd pick an alloy V6. Available cheap are the PRV engine out of a Volvo/Delorean, the

3.2 V6 out of a Mercedes SLK (I drive a SLK320 and know this engine well.), even the Ford/Jaguar 3.0 V6 out of an X type or S type. A lot less weight and I feel it would be more in tune with the European character of the car. IMHO, even a modern V6 out of a rice burner would be preferable to a Mopar V8. If you have to have a V8 use a Jaguar 4.0 V8, a 4.3L V8 from Mercedes or even the Lotus V8 out of an Elite. If your pocketbook is unlimited, the Ferrari V8 out of a 308.
Reply to
james.rice

Put the 318 in a Duster where it belongs. Can the automatic- it wouldn't be any fun even in the Duster. Leave the 124 in my driveway. I'll put a proper twin-cam and 5 speed back in it.

Al

Reply to
Al McWhorter

Cindy, I am currently in the middle of something similar. I am putting a 215ci V8 in my 1977 Fiat 124. I can't tell you exactly to do this but I know that you WILL have to do the following things:

Custom motor/trans mounts Custom drive shaft...unless you are putting in another rear end. "reshape" the firewall relocate the oil filter custom radiator...which will probably be infront of the of the stock location(also a pusher fan infront of the radiator) Remote water pump...that was interesting!!! UPGRADE YOUR SUSPENSION--The reason I picked the Rover 3.5 was that it was the lightest and smalles V8 that I could find and still could push 300hp. You will also have to rework your steering Last I think I had to do some work on the oil pan so that the block would sit down far enough to not require any hood modifications.

I'm not done, but I had to do these, so I'm assuming that you will too. Hope this helps.

Reply to
wi21ll

Reply to
Cindyjo