1996 Punto

Hello everybody. I am new to the group and would like your opinion on a car I am thinking of buying. I am 18 and it will be my first vehicle although I have over a year's experience of driving a Ford Escort. The car I am considering is as follows:

1996 FIAT PUNTO 1.1 55S, 1996, P reg. 72000 miles, jet black with blue trim, radio cassette, alloys, 3 door, Group 3 insurance, low tax group, ideal first car, p/x welcome. £995

This is the ad from AutoTrader. Is this a good deal? Obviously I won't buy an obvious wreck but what hidden problems are there?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Flash

Reply to
Lord Flashheart

i had a 5 door, 55s 97/P without alloys, its a good car (mine had half the mileage tho) but the head gasket went on mine, and the garage had had similar problems with other peoples puntos, so check the water and oil, also a symton was misfiring and white smoke on starting. I thought it was a good car at the time, i have a new shape sporting now which makes the old cars steering seem almost rigid and very slow. But it seemed nippy at the time. Not a bad price either

Reply to
Arron Winsor

Thanks. I will make sure I look out for those.

Flash

Reply to
Lord Flashheart

Also see if you can find out if it's had new rear swinging arms as these are common on MK1 Puntos

Reply to
firestarter

Yes, as firestarter says the rear swing arms are notorious for going, with

70k they will probably be tired if they haven't been changed already.

Excellent car though, still miss mine!

Reply to
Rich Strang

There is also a brake pipe recall on mark one puntos. Check if it has been done. Iain.

Reply to
The Pilot

Campaign 4400

Reply to