2000 Punto Sporting - Help! What is wrong with my car?

Hi, hope someone can help...
I've had my Punto (Mk2 1.2 16v Sporting) for nearly four years and have done 65,000 mainly careful miles with regular dealer servicing. I've had no problems
before but recently the engine has been behaving oddly.
The problem started with difficulty pulling at low revs in high gears and has gradually got worse. This is manifested as a kind of knocking surge. Now as well as that problem the car struggles to accelerate when I floor it. The engine labours up to about 4000 revs and it feels as though the powerplant is not responding to the accelerator. When I hit 4000 it pulls forward as normal, this does not seem to happen if I accelerate slowly and progressively. The problem seems to get worse as the engine warms up.
I steer clear of supermarket fuel and tried a bottle of injection cleaner which made NO difference. The only other symptom is the idling which fluctuates between 1200 and 500 in a kind of "rumbly" way.
I'm no mechanic so the car will have to go in but I don't want to look like a numpty and get scammed. I'd appreciate it if someone could make some suggestions to highlight the problem and maybe give an indication of a reasonable cost.
Thanks in advance
Ben
Hi, My wifes mrk2 1.2 sporting has started with the same problem!!! very steady acceleration fine, if you floor it judders and finds it difficult hits around 4000 revs and is fine i.e ok on motorway. Only done 36000 miles, this started after last service at the local Fiat garage!!! (full service, cambelt/pre tensioner change). I've tried resetting the ecu but this didn't help.

[...]

at 65k miles have you had your cambelt changed yet? its due a change soon. if you have had it done allready its possible that this kind of fault could be caused by something like incorect valve timing. but really it could be any number of things. take it too a main dealer, we dont scam people.
-------------------------------------------------------- fixin fiats since 1998
Hi i have a 99T reg 1.2 16V Punto which i am slowly Modifying. I am after a back box to give the car a nice roaring sound but... If you have looked at the back box on the punto's it is a funny shape!!! Any ideas where i can get one or have one made. Look forward to your replys
Cheers
Puntomad (Nick)

and has gradually got worse. This is manifested as a kind of knocking surge. Now as well as that problem the car struggles to accelerate when I floor it. The engine labours up to about 4000 revs and it feels as though the powerplant is not responding to the accelerator. When I hit 4000 it pulls forward as normal, this does not seem to happen if I accelerate slowly and progressively. The problem seems to get worse as the engine warms up.

Injection ECU possibly shagged. Iain.
I would start with the easy stuff, Get the plugs and plug cables checked
Ben Sheffield wrote:

65,000 mainly careful miles with regular dealer servicing. I've had no problems before but recently the engine has been behaving oddly.

gradually got worse. This is manifested as a kind of knocking surge. Now as well as that problem the car struggles to accelerate when I floor it. The engine labours up to about 4000 revs and it feels as though the powerplant is not responding to the accelerator. When I hit 4000 it pulls forward as normal, this does not seem to happen if I accelerate slowly and progressively. The problem seems to get worse as the engine warms up.

which made NO difference. The only other symptom is the idling which fluctuates between 1200 and 500 in a kind of "rumbly" way.

numpty and get scammed. I'd appreciate it if someone could make some suggestions to highlight the problem and maybe give an indication of a reasonable cost.

Just took the wifes to a garage in derby, they say that at the last service Dec 03 the plugs were'nt changed. They found one of the spark plugs was arching and have replaced the set, plus the leads. Hopefully this will cure the juddering