Advice please

Hi All, can someone explain what the problem is with the Punto gearboxes, a friend of mine had a problem some months ago and had a s/hand gearbox fitted, now he tells me he is having the same fault,
TIA Peter
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:31:38 +0000 (UTC), Fitzy wrote:

Old model, new model? wich one?
--
Grt. Frank
email: frank_sernee@hotmail noshit.com

Its almost as though one of the CV joints has collapsed on the left, but with the shaft removed, on inspection the shaft and joints are OK and intact, but the noise from the area is quite loud as if a bearing has collapsed and is being ground up,,
Peter
message

Ok.
I think I see what you are saying.
If you say the shafts are Ok then that only leaves the wheel assembly or the differential.
Some things you can do:
1) Jack the wheel up and safety secure the car with and axle stand. Manually rotate the wheel and feel along the driveshaft length to see if you can locate any 'rumblings', and if so nearer which end.
2) Check that the brake disc backing and cooling plate/shield is not rubbing against the excess rust layers that build up on the inner most disk edges/surfaces at the hub centre (back face of course).
Nick /////

Good advice but from experience a shot hub bearing may seem ok with the car jacked up and no load on it, it can turn freely and sound fine, the grease lubricates the pitted balls and surfaces, only on the road does it sound knackered, dismantling and washing out a hub bearing is the only way to confirm a problem, if it looks fine then repack with grease (don't overpack), which won't hurt anyway and fit a new seal if necessary.
Knackered CV joints don't usually make much noise, just creak or try to lock up when turning corners. Dismantling a shot CV joint usually reveals pitted balls and sometimes a scored track. If it is a shot CV don't be tempted to just replace the balls, replace the whole assy. In any case the retail price for the balls is about the same as the trade price for the whole assy.
Thanks for the replies,, people I will check your suggestions and let you know the findings
Peter

Yes I agree.
The trouble with this sort of remote daiagnosis is that 'we' are not actually present so to present a script is very difficult and prone nor only to error but lack of scope.
Nick /////

Hi All, Update on what the problem was,
The diff bearing had broken up on the passenger side of the gearbox, we removed the box and stripped of the side that we assumed to have the most noise, and found the bearing in pieces, and bits of the casing had contaminated the rest of the g/box, we decided not to repair,as the cost of parts would be more than a good second-hand gearbox, so a s/hand box was fitted at a cost of 100, car is back on the road , Thanks for your input, Regards Peter
Great news Peter
Sometimes this remote diagnosis can cause more confusion than it is worth :-)
I'm so pleased your car is back on the road and has not cost you too dearly.
Nick /////