Airbaglight

Hello, My Punto Sporting 1.2 16V (2003) has a strange (electrical) error. When I hit the brakes the (red)airbaglight comes on now and then. Went to the
dealer some weeks ago. He found no errors in the main computer so he replaced the airbagmodule. Problem solved, it seemed. But no, after a couple of weeks of failure-free driving the same error is back. Anybody around here familiar with this problem and (maybe) knows the solution? Thanks in advance! Ciao, E-Cie.

Try the Fiat forum, select model then technical http://www.fiatforum.com / There is also a search facility, it may be common to several different models. It's a good site for technical info. Used it several times for "How do I remove" or fix type jobs. The "my headlights go off when I touch the brakes" sort of problems. Fiats seem to suffer from earthing related problems, plus the odd intermittent connection. Maybe there is a duff production run of marginal airbag modules and the replacement was from the same 10,000 units run. Battery OK, connections clean and firm, brake lights put a transient load on the battery.

look at the Fiat-forum. By the way, connections and battery are ok; battery is fairly new (4 months old) and the Punto has only done 24000 km. yet. Car is maintained very well, but that doesn't say it all, does it! Ciao, E-Cie.

ignition switch. I'll have it checked tomorrow. Ciao, E-Cie.

Follow-up: had my Punto to my Fiatdealer today. He confirmed it could well be a faulty ignitionswitch, although it is not a common problem, he said. Had the switch replaced (under warranty; for a 3 year old car: way to go!) so we'll see what happens next. Looks fine for now. Thanks everybody! Ciao, E-Cie.

I've had severa Fiat ignition switches fail, one a melted contact block, another mechanical failure (front lift recovery job as key wouldn't turn - even with a lot of WD40). They are a pain in the arse to replace because of the snap head security bolts, when the drill breaks you have the hardened stub to remove. Now I use ordinary hex headed bolts to fix the replacement. Can't see anyone tackling the column shroud to get at the switch to nick the car. Next time round the switch comes off easily.

That's why I let the dealer take care of it! I knew about these bolts. But your solution sounds good too; more like a: just in case solution... ;-) Ciao, E-Cie.