Automatic lights on Fiat?

There's a dispute on the norwegian auto group about how the lights work in other countries. Could anyone from "The Continent", eg Germany or Italy tell us how this works in a new Fiat from your countries.

My norwegian Fiat has three positions for the light:

  1. Lights on if ignition is on.
  2. Parking lights on.
  3. Lights off even if ignition is on.

This works fine in the Scandinavian countries where we have to have the lights on even in the daytime. In position 1 the lights are on when we drive and off when we leave the car. No risk of driving without lights and no risk of a flat battery.

So, how does yours work?

-- snipped-for-privacy@dod.no - Fiat Stilo 1.6 3P -02

Reply to
Dan

"Dan" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

My car is a Fiat Punto 1.2 16V Sporting (04-2000) and has the same features as your Stilo 1.6. When i switch off the ignition everything electric is switched off too, exept for the interiorlights, warninglights, parkinglights and horn. I owned 10 Fiat's before this Sporting and in my opinion this has always been the case on Fiat cars, so yes, i think this is the best solution.

Greetings from a Fiat enthousiast from the Netherlands.

Reply to
E-Cie

Thanks a lot! I'll be happy to tell the Mercedes owners of the norwegian group. :-)

-- snipped-for-privacy@dod.no - Fiat Stilo 1.6 3P -02

Reply to
Dan

Hi, my Tipo 1.7 D S was made in 1994 and lights are on if ignition is on; if there is no ignitions there are no parking lights or horn or any other electricity except indoor light and cigaret lighter.

Regards, Klemen, Slovenia P.S. in Slovenia, for a couple of years now (3 i think), the lights must be on in the daytime too!

My norwegian Fiat has three positions for the light:

  1. Lights on if ignition is on.
  2. Parking lights on.
  3. Lights off even if ignition is on.

This works fine in the Scandinavian countries where we have to have the lights on even in the daytime. In position 1 the lights are on when we drive and off when we leave the car. No risk of driving without lights and no risk of a flat battery.

So, how does yours work?

-- snipped-for-privacy@dod.no - Fiat Stilo 1.6 3P -02

Reply to
Klemen Licen

Radio keeps working in mine too with ignition switched off (1998 mk1 punto). (p.s. E-Cie, ken je

al ?)

Reply to
Draak

"Draak" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@sig.invalid...

Oops, stupid of me, of course the radio works with the ingition switched off. And, intelligent as Italians are, it switches itself off after 20 minutes! Oh, and there is something more: my Punto has also so called "follow me home" lighting. That also works with the ignition switched off (for a short period of time which you can control yourself). Clever cars, eh? :-))

to Frank: yes! Menig uurtje op doorgebracht, maar ik acht me al te oud om deelgenoot te worden van die club "jonge honden". Nog een paar tips:

,
en
. Have fun!

Reply to
E-Cie

It is quite clever. But there is one thing that is quite stupid with the radio, at least in my Stilo. If you drive around, listening to the radio, park and turn off the engine, the radio switches itself off so if you want to continue listening (while you're waiting for someone or just to hear the end of the news broadcast) you have to turn it on again manually. My girlfriend's Fabia keeps the radio turned on until you pull out the key and other cars keep the radio on until you open the door. Much smarter.

Reply to
Dan

All Fiats for as many years as I can remember (but possibly excluding my old

600D) have been as follows:

Position 0 : Lights Off Position 1 : Side Lights On (with DIM dip if applicable) BUT ONLY when the ignition is on Position 2 : Side Lights and Headlamps On BUT ONLY when the ignition is on

Parking lights are only enabled with the back/reverse Ignition Switch setting.

Most other makes of car allow the lights to be left on with the ignition off. When was the last time you saw a Fiat with a flat battery due to the lights being left on. Not possible unless the ignition is turned on without starting the engine or a very prolonged period on 'parking lights'.

Over the years I've rescued many cars, notably Fords, with flat batteries due to lights being left on.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////

Maybe so, i am not bothered by the fact that it switches itself off after

20 minutes. The "door opening-thing" is interesting, i've never heard of it. Which car? By the way, if i'm not mistaken there should be some setting in your radio or "my car" menu of your Stilo to bypass the 20-minute setting. Have a looksee in your manual to find out. cheers, E-Cie.
Reply to
E-Cie

The new Mégane I think.

Reply to
Dan

E-Cie formuleerde de vraag :

Ik had al zo'n vermoeden dat je je te oud zou voelen, idd zijn het meerendeel jongeren (op een enkele na). Die andere sites heb ik nog nooit bekeken moet ik zeggen, zal in de vakantie me daar eens gaan inlezen :-)

Reply to
Draak

OK! Thanks. greetz, E-Cie.

Reply to
E-Cie

"Draak" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@sig.invalid...

Eh... vanwaar dat vermoeden? Type ik oud of zo? ;-) Ach, je bent zo jong als je je voelt, was ooit een reclamespot. Well, you're never too old to be Sporting! Veel leesplezier! Greetz, E-Cie.

Reply to
E-Cie

E-Cie beweerde :

Neuh, je rijdt al 10 jaar Fiat, ik ga er niet van uit dat je elk jaar een nieuwe gekocht hebt, zodoende :-)

Och, m'n ouders rijden ook een een relatief "sportieve" auto (Seat Leon), toch zijn ze echt niet meer piepjong hoor.

Gaat vast lukken, je moet wat met verplichte vakanties :-)

Reply to
Draak

"Draak" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@sig.invalid...

Nee, zo slecht zijn ze nu ook weer niet. Je hebt goed gelezen, compliment!

45 jaar is toch niet oud? Dat is piepjong.

Ach, wat zielig! :-)) Prettige vakantie!

Greetz, E-Cie.

Reply to
E-Cie

"Klemen Licen" schreef in bericht news:41bda951$ snipped-for-privacy@news.s.net...

Over here in the Netherlands it is advised to do so. Regards, E-Cie.

Reply to
E-Cie

E-Cie heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :

Weet ik, rij er nu 5,5 jaar in rond :-)

Nee, ook m'n ouders, die zijn pakweg 20 jaar ouder nog, dat bedoel ik dus :-)

Reply to
Draak

"Nick Bailey /////" schreef in bericht news:41bde168$0$50863$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...

Recently, i saw one with a flat tyre, but that's something else.....:-)

Reply to
E-Cie

It works the same here in The Netherlands with all fiat's.

HB

"Dan" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
H. Bartol

With an electric air pump and flat battery no doubt :-) :-)

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////