Brava 1.4sx wont crank even on a push start

2 months ago the starer motor went on my fiat brava, it a made a screeching noise and died, i removed the starter immediatly and a month later i got around to rebuilding the starter, so i put it back in and attempted to crank the engine to no avail !!!, with that i got a rope i use for rock climbing (very strong rope) and doubled it over and towed it with my 1.8Td van with my friend in the fiat we attempted to jump start it,so as my friend let out the clutch whilst in 2nd gear the fiat began to stop and finally the rope snapped !!!! we tried everything but we couldn get the engine to do as much as a half a revolution!!!!!! it kept snapping the rope, but we noticed that if we put it in reverse gear we could just about get the cars engine to turn over if we pushed it forward!!!!

i dont know what the problem is and any advice is much appreciated, see i cant afford to pay a mechanic ,

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
waveblasterlynch

General information for guidance based on the description above. Remove spark plugs, put large spanner on end of crankshaft (crankshaft nut / bolt , crankshaft pully nut) and see if engine can be turned by hand using the spanner, normally clockwise. Need to remove the plugs so that there is no compression, engine should turn easily if not I think it could be serious. Cannot be more specific as I am not sure how accessible the crankshaft is on this car.

Please try and provide further information - what happens when you try and start using the starter motor, is the starter motor working (how do you know).

Andy

Reply to
AndrewP

"andrewportess1" wrote: > "waveblasterlynch" wrote in > message > news:422bde72$1 snipped-for-privacy@alt.athenanews.com... > >2 months ago the starer motor went on my fiat brava, it a > made a > > screeching noise and died, i removed the starter immediatly > and a > > month later i got around to rebuilding the starter, so i put > it back > > in and attempted to crank the engine to no avail !!!, with > that i got > > a rope i use for rock climbing (very strong rope) and > doubled it over > > and towed it with my 1.8Td van with my friend in the fiat we > attempted > > to jump start it,so as my friend let out the clutch whilst > in 2nd gear > > the fiat began to stop and finally the rope snapped !!!! we > tried > > everything but we couldn get the engine to do as much as a > half a > > revolution!!!!!! it kept snapping the rope, but we noticed > that if we > > put it in reverse gear we could just about get the cars > engine to turn > > over if we pushed it forward!!!! > >

well i tried installing the starter 2 different time just in case i got a splen stuck, the starter works grand because when i conntect it directly to the battery it spins and retracts. anyway when i try to use the starter with it in the engine you can hear it engaging and thats all, ill try what you said about the spanner,

thanks for the info

Reply to
waveblasterlynch