brava wiper motor

Hi there,please can anyone tell me the best way to test a rear wiper motor wired directly to the battery as ive bought a used one put it in and im not sure if it works...regards...mart.

Reply to
bobby tinn

Connected directly to the battery the motor should just run. Connected through the switched supply and the correct relay the motor will run at the required rate. Oscillation of the wiper is generally by mechanical means rather than switching the supply polarity (someone correct me if I am wrong). Are you sure that the relay hasn't failed?

Amdy

Reply to
Andrew

How are you not sure if it works? It either works, or doesn't. You can check the supply with a 12V test lamp/bulb. Sometimes, if it's a hatchback, there are a set of tailgate spring loaded contacts, these can oxidise/corrode. Sometimes the motor has three supply wires, one +12V for the self parking action, the other two, + and - 12V for the motor. The self parking 12V is fed from Ign switched, the

12V wiper run from the wiper switch. Switch off the wipers, the motor runs on the Ign switched, until a gap on a slip ring, the parking posn, is reached, and the motor stops in the parked position. Motors are prone to seize up due to their iron shaft, in a diecast casting, getting water past the O-ring seal, resulting in rusting and freezing up solid. The motor, if you are lucky is still ok, it often is, and you only need to dismantle, clean and relubricate. Failure of self parking can be due to a phosphor bronze contact finger running on a track on the main gear, losing its spring action, bend slightly, not too far, or there will be too much pressure, and it will wear rapidly. Lubricate the track finger runs on. Front multi-speed wipers may have several PBronze spring contacts on separate tracks.
Reply to
ato_zee