Bravo 1.4SX - clonking and flapping sound

Hi NG,
I have a Bravo (N reg 1995 approx 96k) with a problem and I'm hoping that somebody here will help. I am not very mechanically minded so I will try and
explain as best I can.
Went to leave work the other day and reversed as normal and though that it didn't sound right. Put full lock on to pull off and it made loud clonking noises. These noises continued all the way home and it also seemed to struggle to pull off from a standstill. Occasionally, there was also a 'flapping' sound. Had no problems getting it into gear or using the clutch.
Anyway, got it on the jack today thinking that perhaps a bearing had gone but there doesn't appear to be any play in either front wheel. However, when I turn the wheels by hand they both make some odd noises. There is a wub-wub-wub noise which comes and goes. The wheels also lock until I give them a good shove. If I turn the wheel forward and then back it really locks. I am guessing that whatever it is, it is affecting both wheels but have no other ideas.
Any suggestions anyone?
TIA
Glenn

CV joints are the articulated joints that allow the wheels to turn (left/right) whilst being driven through the drive shafts.
You will have at least two CV joints. The out ones are located directly behind the wheel hubs and have the drive shafts going into them. The second pair are either near the gearbox (each side) or integral with the gearbox.
Jack the car up and secure on stands, one wheel at a time, and rotate wheel with one hand whilst holding the drive shaft with the other. Look and feel for play and noise. May get worse with the wheels on full steering lock. WARNING! usual safety please. Rotating the steering with any wheel in contact with the ground whist the vehicle is on jack & stands WILL potentially make the jacking unsafe. Lower and re-jack between steering rotations!
Nick /////

Thanks for the reply. The problem is now big time - no forward gears at all. Time to get rid.
Thanks again.

diff has gone. Difficult to say for sure. If the rest of the car is ok and in good working order binning it might be and expensive option. There again this might be just the excuse you are looking for to spend some money on a new toy :-)
Nick /////