Can't remove pulley nut off 1.6 Tipo

Came to change the cambelt on my Tipo this weekend, did the basic stuff first removing cover, popping off the fan belt, etc, then came to remove the pulley off the crankshaft - it will NOT come off. I've tried having an
assistant stick the car in 4th and floor the brake pedal whilst I'm heaving on it, no go, took off the starter motor and wedged the gears there, no go again. In the end I had a 3 foot handle on the 36mm socket and was hitting it with a bloody big hammer, still no dice.
Anyone got any ideas? I've got a cambelt here that ain't doing anything, and I'd really like to get it fitted :(
Hellraiser...........>
Wedge long bar on ground and use the starter to rotate the engine. The weight of the car working against the rotation of the engine will crack it.
Windy Gun is just about the best way. The continuous nudging of the gun eventualy breaks the friction/tightness.
You could try your own short, sharp not to heavy taps on the end of a 3/4inch drive bar. Not one, two or three but 30 to 100. Brute force IS NOT the way to crack this nut.
Failing that you will have to make up a flywheel lock for the starter ring teeth.
Nick /////

the
heaving

I had to remove the pulley nut on a 1.6 Tipe DGT several yeras ago and they are on tight.
I think the only way to remove these is to lock the flywheel through the starter access using a screwdriver - get somebody to hold it.
Then, get a large ring spanner of the correct size, secure it to the bolt and hit the other end with a 2 pound hammer - use short sharp and controlled strikes - do not thump madly at it. It is important that all the play is taken out through the engine, put tension on the spanner to remove all backlash so that when the hammer is struct against the spanner it feels solid.
Other ideas, such as putting the car in 1st gear, applying the brakes and using the cars weight just make it more likely that the spanner will slip off and run the risk of rounding the bolt.
Alternatively, an air impact wrench would whip it off in a few seconds.

the
<snip>
Any joy with your nuts hellraiser ?
Graham

Not had time to fiddle with them yet, too busy working :) Will have a crack at it next weekend, this one is a bit fully booked by the other half!
Hellraiser..........>
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:40:50 +0100, "Hellraiser"

************************************************* Just a thought here. Could it be a left-hand threading?
I have had success in removing stubborn threaded hardware by using a GIANT air driven impact driver. I have one that is certified to the limit of 550 foot-pounds of torque. I have never had to use this on an automotive part. I have used it for engine and clutch pulleys on motorcycles. J. R. Graham Texas, U.S.A. -----------------------------------------------
In most cases Fiat mark left-hand threaded nuts with a notch in the points between the nut flats. For the Tipo in question I'm 100% sure it is a righ-hand thread (well it was on mine :-)
Nick /////
wrote:

the
The reply from "yeha" is right on target. Nut should be a standard right-hand thread. Use a socket with a breaker-bar attached leaving the handle approx. 6" off the ground. Also a good idea to place a piece of wood on the floor so the handle of the breaker-bar doesn't damage the concrete. Remember that the motor will turn clockwise so the bar should be on the right side of the engine when you are facing the engine. Tap the starter and the nut will come loose on the first try. MgPainter
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:40:50 +0100, "Hellraiser"