Cold start stepper motor - 1.6 Fiat engine

Big starting problems . . . fine when warm / hot but a pig when cold. Fiat dealer says stepper motor gone and wants well over 200 (GBP) on top of the diagnostic fee to replace! Car wouldn't fetch that price.
Anyone know what this bit is, where it is and where one might be found at a reasonable price in the UK - or mail order from anywhere. Car is a 1.6 Tempra of 1991 vintage and is fine apart from this stupidity!
Reminds me of what used to happen on cold mornings when the choke cable had snapped. Used a piece of string or wire then, didn't have to mess with these pathetic low quality electrical / electronic components!
Cheers, Lurch
PS - please reply to post not mail as mail dropped ded years ago . . .

It's the device which alters the idle speed according to demand - assuming an injection engine. So it will be part of the throttle assembly. First thing I'd do is check it's not just seized.
Stepper motors as such are available from electronics suppliers - even IIRC Maplin. But whether you could find a suitable one and replace just that, I've no idea.

Sadly, manual chokes got left 'on' and caused hugely increased emissions. Hence their total disappearance years ago.
--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Please elabourate on the cold starting- is it more of a fast idle that is lacking or that it just wont fire up without lots of cranking. In the latter case, is it hesitant and reluctant once started until warm, or what?
If so, then your looking at a faulty coolant temp sensor (does a similar job to a choke) and the ECU thinks the engine is hot all thw while, thus cold starting mixture isnt applied.
If it fires normally, but wont keep running without accelorator assistance until warmed- then yes, a problem with the stepper motor and or TPS.
Tim..

The latter Tim - Owner says she had it diagnosed at a Fiat dealer and they said stepper motor, when I tried it it was much the same as when a manual choke cable snapped . . . need to hold accelerator down a little or it dies until warm.
What's the TPS, the temperature sensor?
Ta! Lurch
Lurch skrev:

Throttle Position Sensor.