Cooling - Radiator or Thermostat ?

Hello,

I have an intermittant cooling/heating problem in my 2.4 JTD Engine in my Marea

Occasionally the temp rises higher than usual, and on inspection, the right hand side (input) to the radiator is hot, but the Left side is cool. A friend says he thinks it is the thermostat sticking closed (but the hot water wouldn't reach the rad then would it ?). I lean towards a blocked radiator. Squeezing the pipes on each end of the rad usually seems to clear it, and the water starts circulating again coming out hot on the LHS. The water in the expansion tank is still as clean as the day it was put in, and no crud/rust in it.

Also, if it was the thermostat, where would I find it - A likely place seems to be on the RHS of the engine almost opposite the battery ??

Thanks for your time.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Thermostats do not completely shut the water flow off completely. They have a small bypass hose. The different temperatures in the radiator would indicate a sticking thermostat. This is because with the low water flow rate via the bypass circuit there radiator can fully cool the hot water quickly.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////