Coupe Rattle

Hi all -
my first post here.
My Coupe is giving an annoying metallic rattle in or around the offside rear wheel area. It sounds like a chunk of metal being thrown up and down inside
a saucepan lid. Everytime I go over a bump, but especially when turning to the left, and especially when I have a passenger in the back seats. I seem to recall it first happening quite suddenly, in a bumpy, potholed area of the city, but I can't be sure about that. .
I can't find any loose joints, but who knows. Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Hello enforcer I had a similar fault on my coupe a couple of years back that was found to be the rear trailing arm bushes had gone.
to check this jack-up the rear of the car the get hold of the rear wheel and pull it towards and away from you if there is any play the bushes have gone mine were very bad as there was about half inch of play.
the last point is if you go to a fiat dealer they will tell you that a complete new arm is needed this is not true there are plenty of companies that do a replacement bush kit.

Thanks for that. I am still not sure. Just today it really sounded like the exhaust, but I padded that out so that it couldn't make a noise (I think) and it still continues. Going slowly over a speed bump is the guaranteed way to get it clacking. It is a sharp metallic clack that reminds me of a loose hubcap, but it doesn't have hubcaps.
I'll have a go at your suggestion. Can I ask - when jacking it up I have been using the bottom suspension mounting as the jacking point, and obviously that will restrict movement. Where else can I safely jack it up? Using the sill rim is surely going to damage the paintwork, isn't it? I have a small trolley jack with circular top piece, four little projections for added grip, and also the Fiat Coupe one with the slotted top piece.

I know what you are saying about exhaust rattle I got feed up of mine so I had a full custom stainless system fitted now know rattle and a lovely burble
as for the jacking points there are 4 good ones if you look just past the sills close to the back and the front of the car there is a square pad with a hole in this is were I always put my trolley jack to jack the coupe up.

Are you saying the rattle was inside the exhaust system?
The square pads - in front of the rear wheels?

no the rattle was not in the exhaust system I was saying that I have also had I a rattle in the exhaust.
the jacking point at the rear is a 2 inch square pad with a round hole in just a nice size to put a trolley jack on that is just in front of the rear suspension behind the sill

OK, thanks.

How much did that cost, and where did you get it?

I'm wondering whether it might be false economy just to have the one bush replaced. Given the labour charges, wouldn't it be just as well to have the arm replaced? Just wondering. How many joints/bushes does it contain?

I thought about replacing the whole arm on mine but decided not to
as the price for the whole arm from fiat was 120 each were as the bush kit is about 23 per kit
well it's not a bush. in the kit you get a new nut and bolt a plastic cover for the inside of the arm two bearings and two seals
the guy who fitted mine said it took him about an hour and half for the first side and about an hour for the second side as he had never done one before. he did say that you really need a hydraulic press the fit the bearings correctly.

I am thinking mine might be a broken spring, you know. The noise came on very suddenly.
Did your bloke fit the entire kit, or just one bush?

The guy fitted the entire kit on both sides one side was ok but I got him to fit both sides, on the side that had gone the bearings had completely collapsed.
As for the full stainless exhaust I had fitted it was 310 but worth every penny as it looks great sounds great and has a lifetime guarantee.

So what was the overall cost, including labour?

Wow! Please let me know the supplier!

I can't remember how much the total cost was as it was a couple of years ago
the exhaust is a powerflow full cat back system with a 4 inch oval tail pipe I didn't want a tail pipe that looked like a drain pipe but I could have had anything up to a 6 inch or twin pipes at extra cost.
The job was done by a local company in Sheffield one of only two in South Yorkshire that I could find that did custom built systems.
the exhaust isa powerflow full cat back system with a

Damned good price!
the exhaustis

It was a radius arm bearing. Failed the MOT on JUST THAT! So good news. Total bill likely to be 220 for MOT plus repair.
the

sounds for that price they are going to change the complete arm. not just the bearings.
I have had my coupe for 5 years and it only failed it's MOT once and that was for a number plate light bulb not working and the head light aim too low, well it was for the headlight aim too low until I pointed out that it was adjustable by a dial on the dash board.
I do tend to keep an eye on the coupe and if any part seems to be slightly worn I get it replaced.
> Total billlikely to be 220 for MOT plus repair.

Yes - total arm, but I decided to go with that. I figure that getting the whole thing gets that out of the way for a few years, and also asking the mechanic to replace a bush or bearing leaves open the possibility of problems along the way, and extra labour costs. Not worth the risk to me.
The Enforcer wrote:

yup, post your question in alt.autos.fiat :o)
(see, it was a bush) kudos to me and, especially, cupra !