Engine shuts down

in the last week I've had a serious problem with my Multipla JTD...

2001,35K(miles)

for some unknown reason after driving for a short peroid of time 10-15 mins the engine disengages from the drive and goes into shut down mode it only shuts the engine down when the car has sufficiently slowed down to make it safe to do so but it is an intermittant problem which is quite dangerous....cant re-start the car for 10-15 minutes but theres no guarantees that it wont happen again once you get going again...

anyone any ideas as to what could be causing the problem,,, have had it with the dealers and they're baffled

Barry

Reply to
newmast

Turned out to be a faulty TDC Sensor

Reply to
newmast

TDC ... Wazat? And thanks! :-)

newmast wrote:

Reply to
Kiffa

TDC stands for top dead center aka engine speed sensor, rpm sensor, crankposition sensor. sense's the speed of the crankshaft and the point when number 1 cylinder is at TDC.

Reply to
undergraduate-car-mechanic