Fiat Brava fuel injection light

Hi,
I have a problem with 1999 1.4 Fiat Brava. Some time ago I noted the fuel injection light switches on during the drive, and it would only go off after
I stoped the car, turned the engine off and on again, after 30 sec or so. What is weird is that this light turns on only when I'm driving downhill for some time, and is coupled by the fall of the engine temperature indicator. Can anyone shed some light please? Thanks!
Leonardo
(remove NOSPAN)
Could be that the engine management system, which measures water temperature is complaining that once the car has become warm and the engine is still running it is no expecting to see too large a drop in water temperature. This would suggest to me that either you have a large airlock in the cooling system or the thermostat is stuck open. I would think it could be the latter Coasting down hill the engine is producing little heat but with the stat wide open the water would cool quite quickly.
You can test for a stuck open thermostat quite easily.
Start the car from cold and leave the engine idling. Grab hold of the bottom radiator hose and monitor its temperature. Is should stat cold/cool for a long time. You may find the top radiator hose warms slowly. Once the water in the engine block gets up to temperature the stat will open and hot water will flood into the radiator. When this happens the bottom radiator hose will get hot QUICKLY.
If the stat is stuck open the bottom radiator hose will warm up slowly as the water being heated by the engine is being circulated all the time.
Sadly this process is like watching paint dry becuase nothing happens for ages, then woosh. If you take a break for a minute it will then that the stat opens and you will miss that sudden rise in temperature of the bottom hose.
Nick /////

It looks as if thermostat is the problem. I will replace it and let you know if everything is back to normal. I thank you very much for your time and expertise.
Leonardo

Well I do so much hope that this is the cause of your problem.
I hate giving diagnostic advice remotely because unless one has experienced the EXACT same condition then one is dealing with past general experiance, reasoned knowledge and a little bit of luck :-)
Please don't bill me if I'm wrong :-)
Nick /////

Replaced thermostat, everything is back to normal! :-) Many thanks once again. (I really like this Brava, it is a great value-for-money, bought it new in 1999 for 9,999 Euro, consumes not more than 7 litres per 100 km on the average, great engine, ...)
Leonardo

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll try and remember it for my future reference :-)
Nick /////