fiat brava gearbox probs.

I'm looking for a bit of advice/ help. I have a 2001 Brava 80sx (1.2 16v) with 42000 miles on the clock. Today I heard what can only be described as a grinding noise coming from the lower end of the engine, only when the car is moving and the revs are dropped below 2000. I thought at first it was the engine mounts but they looked fine, so took it to the garage and they reckoned it was something inside the gear box that had gone, possibly a bearing, which means a replacement g/box ? Has anybody else had this problem, or should the gearbox last longer than this ?

the car is still running , but was advised to not drive very far with it .

krafty

Reply to
Martin Krawczyk

If it is something wearing, or a bearing braking up in the box, then the magnet in the oil drain plug (magnets in the plug are pretty universally fitted) should be thick with fuzz and bits of anything that is braking up. Can't remember if the transmission plug has a magnet, the engine plug should have one. You can sometime diagnose from any of the larger bits what, if anything, is disintegrating.

Tip - get a rubber bung that fits the drain plug holes, the push the bung in as you take the plug out, that way you don't have to drain and refill the oil. Further tip transmission and engine oil after running are HOT particularly running over your hand, and down your arm, it's usually cool by the time it gets to your turn ups. Post again if you find anything interesting on the plug. It's quite profitable replacing gearboxes. I'd do (or get a local well recommended self employed mechanic to do them) the above checks which should only take abut 15 mins, and give a second opinion. Sure it's not the clutch thrust race, does the noise alter when you put the clutch down? Putting the clutch down disconnects the transmission and also slightly alters the pressure on the crankshaft. So any change in the noise can give clues.

Reply to
ato_zee

PS Water pumps and alternators are also a common source of grinding noises, and often difficult to pinpoint in the early stages.

Reply to
ato_zee