fiat cinquecento handbrakes

can anyone tell me an approximation that my handbrake may cost when i have my mot done. it is weak, doesn't hold on hills at all, can move off with it still on. would like to know if any1 else had had this problem and what it cost to get it fixed.

Reply to
becks

Depends on where you go, you may get ripped off. Adjustment is easy if you can get under the car. Brake shoes vary a lot in quality, I abandoned OEM Fiat, in favour of branded such as Raybestos, although there are other quality premium brands. Everybody swears by their personal preference, and rubbishes the other brands. Garages tend to buy the cheapest, often unbranded, and of poor quality, because they get the best profit margin. For such a safety critical component it's worth the bit extra for branded quality items. I'd query what brand they fit, and cough if it was much over £100.00, wheel cylinders, which they might add on (regardless of their condition) about 50 quid, both inclusive of fitting and excluding VAT. It's basically the same as for Mk1 and MkII Uno's. Most of the cost is labour. In pssing tyres and lamp bulbs have to meet stringent Euro standards, AFAIK there are no such standards for brake shoes, other than the MOT test.

Reply to
ato_zee