fiat Coupe

Thinking of buying a 98 - 99 Coupe 20v - are there any problems I should look out for? All advice and tips gratefully received!

Reply to
Steve Woodhurst

Check the service logs.

The cam belt should be replaced every 72K miles or every 5 years. HOWEVER it is now generally advised and accepted that 50K miles and 5 years is a far better and safer scheduled

The possibly bad news for the Coupe 20V is that the cam belt replacement IS NOT a cheap or simple process.

Officially, the manufacturer's service time is some 15Hrs requiring engine removal. (full 72K service).

I had to have an emergency cam belt replacement after the auxilary failed and was ingested into the cam housing causing the timing to slip and this cost me £850.

HOWEVER. There are companies out there who will do a cam belt change, including tensioner and stretchers (most important) for two to 300 pounds sterling.

This all sounds bad but remeber this:

1) If you can get your hands on a good Fiat Coupe then you are buying a Ferrari at a bargain price, IMOH 2) The cost of a cam belt change has to be judged against item 1) regardless of if you pay £100 or £800.

A further point to bear in mind is spare parts. Engine and running gear is not generally a problem but body panels and trim can be a potential cause for delay. The parts I believe are all available via the Fiat world wide parts network and via European independant suppliers but one must be prepared for a delay in supply of some parts.

Summary.

Get your car checked out Put some money asside in reserve Allow for a possible delay in supply of some parts ENJOY A REALLY BEAUTIFUL, DESIRABLE, DRIVEABLE AND RELIABLE MOTOR.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////

Steve Woodhurst skrev:

As already said by Steve: Cambelt change is NOT cheap...

Also check the headlight-glass/plastic. They are NOT cheap either. AND remember to check the engine/front-hood. It's VERY expensive.

Other than that it's said to be a lovely car :-)

I, however, would option for a 16V turbo. But that's just me :-)

Reply to
Søren C. Fischer

First: try to get your hand on a 20V Turbo and whenever possible the Plus version.

It's not only fast (0-100km/h in 6.5 sec) it has 220bhp at 2500rpm. Sure everything said about the cambelt is true. Dealer advice is a change every

60.000km and yes it includes enigine removal. But a specialized sports car shop in my neigbourhood (southern of the province of Limburg in The Netherlands) is able to do this job withou engine removal in about one day. I think the bill could be less than 1000 euros. I paid less, but it depends on what parts have to be exchanged.

There's also a good source for parts in my neigbourhood, which has moderate prices for parts.

I don't want to promote someone in particular, so if one needs more information, mail me privately at snipped-for-privacy@rustwanadoo.nl and remove the rust in advance. I'll give you name and phone or email from my sources.

Oh, almost forgotten: the Plus version has Recaro-seats which fit excellent. For the ultimate feeling I should add a four-point harness......... Mine is moon-grey, which is one of the pearl-like colors.

Regards and happy driving, Hans.

1990 Alfa Spider 2.0 1999 Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo Plus
Reply to
Hans Siemensma

Very sound advise here from nick.

Get the 20v turbo and the hairs on the back of your neck will stand to attention every time you drive it. I have had mine for 5 years from new and just love it.

The tyres are 245/45 R16 V Pirelli P Zero are the standard and give good grip (but not in first gear -- wheels tend to spin a lot)

Expect to replace the front ones every 8000 miles (they are about 125 + vat UK pounds each)

Tony