Fiat Marea 1.9 sx Turbo Diesel

A week or so ago my power steering failed and a few days later the battery lost all cahrge, i've inspected the engine and found a drive belt missing from the left hand side where it should be spanning 3 fly wheels. I bought
a new belt but can't figure out how to fit it as it seems really lose, there is what appears to be a tensioner of some kind which is in it's (i think) fully extended position, how does it go back? does it need to be removed first? Help!
Panic over got a porter manual tensioner can be easily pushed back, got the new belt fitted then DISASTER the pully on the crankshaft fell out from under the engine it appears to have a plastic centre which has failed anyone had this happen before