Fiat Punto - over heating - No hot air

My Fiat Punto has started to overheat, the over heat light comes on, I turn on the fan and no hot air comes out... Suddenly the overheat light turns off
, and hot air starts to blow outta the fan.. Any ideas on what could be the problem? I assume it must be something to do with the thermostat?? maybe its getting stuck? I wanna take it out, and see if my car still overheats, but I cannot find the thing!!! Can someone give me step by step directions on exactly where to find the thing??
MANY THANKs
Sorry, its a 01 Punto... Water levels in the radiator aren't dropping... No white smoke or steam coming outta the exhaust when on, So I'm not sure but I doubt its a blown head gasket... I was thinking that maybe its the water pump?? But then again it wouldn't over-heat and then sudden;ly be ok with hot air blowing out would it? I can only assume its the thermostat switch sticking or something?!?!

turn
off
the
its

but
Hi,
Your thermostat is located on the right side of the block as you look at it from the front. It should be under your distributor.
There are two bolts in it I believe, but removal of the thermostat, as far as I am aware, isn't possible. I think on your Punto it is all one piece with the housing. Your nearest parts dealer will be able to supply a new one.
Testing of the thermostat is simple. Immerse it in hot water and see if it opens. If it does, your problem doesn't lie here.
Take the bottom hose that connects to your radiator off at the thermostat housing and remove the expansion tank cap (don't do this with a hot engine). Give it a good squeeze, and ensure no bubbles rise to the surface. This will remove airlocks.
Best of luck
I replaced the thermostat, cause I took it off, and it didn't open in hot water.... I installed the new one, alot of steam is now coming out of the exhaust of my car... Does that mean cracked head gasket now?? Am I fuct?

turns
be
maybe
on
it
engine).
will
Doesn't look too promising.
When the engine is cold, remove the radiator water header tank. Start the engine and look for air bubble coming up into the tank.
If there are then, coupled with the water vapour in the exhaust then it could be your head gasket gone.
Other causes of 'white' exhaust fumes is contaminated petrol. You/someone/delivery truck accidentally put diesel into a petrol tank.
Nick /////

Hmmm, I wonder if this could be the first signs of a 'body computer' failure?
ISTR Puntos play up in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways if that's failing.