fiat punto power sterring

my wifes car has a problem with the power steering. there is a light on the dash and the steering is very heavy. this must meen there is a problem wtih the power steering it is
electric stering has anyone any advice.

Has the belt broken ? Is it the battery light, which could also be driven by the belt. ?
Graham
winny wrote:

Mine went on a MK2 Punto Sporting, costed 400 to get replaced was a number of years ago.
Also went the other day when turning the steering too far to the left in a car park, seems to be a problem especially in cold weather. left the car for an hour and went shopping and was fine. The steering does get heavier as it over heats, I found this out when I had 4 big and heavy passengers in the car, solution was to add more air in the tyre (they were low), this puts less pressure on the steering unit.