Fiat red key revisited

Hi guys,
sorry to go over old ground, but I *have* read through the archives and this one is slightly different.
My wife has a 1.1 Punto (S reg) that won't start. We assumed that the
battery had run flat due to a radio left on, and I tried to jump start from my car using a cigarette lighter connector, which has worked successfully in the past.
On this occasion, no joy, and I noticed that the "key code" dash light is on. We don't have the code card (so don't know the number), but we *do* have the "red key", which I'm hoping is relatively good news.
Question: do we need to get the car itself to a Fiat dealer (difficult, considering that it won't start!) or can we just take the red and blue keys and get them reprogrammed to a new number? And what is the likely cost? (I'm assuming this won't be the BIG expense that losing the red key would have incurred?)
Thanks in advance,
Mike M

Got the manual? The procedure is documented in there for reprogramming blue keys if you have the red key, it's very straightforward (although I can't remember the exact procedure) and can easily be done on the driveway in a couple of minutes. I have a Bravo, will see if I can find the manual out but the procedure is the same.
Hellraiser..............>

Ought to add, so long as neither the blue key nor the ECU is faulty then there will be no cost involved, other than a few minutes of your time :)
Hellraiser.............>

It's not quite that easy if the red key won't start the car.

Yes, you'll need to go to a Fiat dealer - cost is likely to be about 40 quid for a blue key and an hour labour to hook it up to the diganostics machine to clear the fault and match the new blue key to the immobiliser.
On 19 Mar, 21:06, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

Many thanks for the rapid reply; just to confirm - we just need to take the key(s) to the dealer, not the car as well? (Don't want to have to tow it!)
Mike

You'll need to take the car in, 'cos it'll need hooking up to the machine.
I am right in assuming the red key isn't starting the car, aren't I?
On 19 Mar, 21:26, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

Yes, that's the case. I have AA homestart so I guess I could get a tow off them.
I think we'll phone the local Fiat dealer first for advice.
Mike

Just re-read it you post.
First thing would be to try charging the battery or using proper jump leads.
I suspect that, if it has a very flat battery, the cigarette lighter lead wouldn't provide enough power to start it up.

The way I read it I assumed he hadn't used the red key, apologies for any confusion I may have unwittingly caused ;)
Hellraiser.............>