Fiat Tempra 1.9 TD 1994 - small niggles

Hello all

Just acquired the above (UK M reg). It runs well but I am without any manuals and cannot find anything online (any links welcome).

I have two small issues:

1) When starting I have been shown to let the glow-plug light go out and then turn the ignition key. I do this and the engine starts, but it needs coaxing along with a dab of the gas - the glow-plug light also comes on again. After revving a bit, the light goes out and all is well. What's wrong here? Do I need to change the plugs.

2) The clock, the "turbo-meter" (for want of a better word) and the temperature do not work work. Are they all on one fuse or is there something more fundamentally wrong? Where can I find out what fuse is what? In fact, where are the fuses? I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere.

thanks for reading

Phil

Reply to
Phil G

FYI the owners handbook, Fiat P/N: 60306704 is available for £10.32 including VAT.

Can't comment on 1)

2) Could be a fuse problem. I would suggest:

a) disconnect the battery -ve terminal and let the car stand for 15 minutes to allow any sytem residual/stored charge to die away. b) slowly and methodically pull and test every fuse on main and auxilary fuse panels.

The auxilary fuse panel is located underneath the dash and to the side of the main fuse panel. To gain easy access it is best to remove the under dash panel/oddment tray.

c) If all the fueses check out OK then there is most likely a connector problem on the rear of the the instrument cluster. I note that there is one connector the feeds both the Turbo Guage and the Temperature Guage.

This is connector B and has contact details/wires colours as follows: PIN-colour code- colour descriptions

1-CN-orange black 2-VN-green black 3-NZ-black violet 4-NB-black white 5-AR-lightblue red 6-A-lightblue 10-NV-black green 11-HG -grey yellow

If I remember correctly the connector has contacts that slide over either side of a flex circuit which rises up over moulded central support ribs. Remove the connetor and (1) gently clean the flex cicuit copper contacts (a light rub with a pencil rubber is good at removing oxidation) (2) look into the connector looking for broken or too greatly spaced contacts (the contact oppostite faces should nearly meat together and be at least a close together as 50% of the width of the flex circuit faces. If the conact faces look to far appart then they can be gently teased together.

Note! I would suggest you remeove all the connector to the rear of the dash panel and take the whole panel out, clean all flex connectors and check all the mating connectors.

Finally, if everything else electrical is working OK on the car then I would possibly tempted to go straight for the dashboard connections and skip the fuse checks. My circuit diagrams suggest the connector theory, however, a full fuse check is always worth while. If nothing else the fuse extraction and reinsertions cleans the contact surfaces of any oxidation.

Report back on how you get on.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick /////

Nick

Thanks for the advice - it might take a while to find the time (esp. with the dark evenings and without a garage) but I will try to do as you say. I will report back on my success (or otherwise).

I wonder if anyone knows about my glow-plugs issue...

thanks again

Phil

Reply to
Phil G