Fiat Uno Alternator HELP NEEDED

Hi all,

Ive not posted here before but i need some help with my UNO DIESEL. I have a fault with the alternator and it needs replacing, i just wanted to know if i can use an alternator from a different modle fiat (an UNO 1108cc petrol for example) or any other car as i am having difficulty sourcing one for my car and really dont want to pay the insane prices the main fiat dealer quotes! my UNO is a 1.7 diesel 1994 M reg. thanks in advance for any help! :-) Marc

Reply to
MM

I've had a number of Uno's and have seen two alternator types (there may be more). Don't worry too much about the rating. (unless you have a 500W hi-fi and sceneary scorching headlamps) The main things are the connections (type of plug) and the adjustment. Some Uno's have a separate punched fanbelt tension adjuster, others (I think later models) the tensioner is part of the front casting, this extension making it harder to get it out past the driveshaft.

Local breakers about 20-25 quid for alternator. Local auto electrician of the old school, with skimming lathe for (starter) commutators, pullers, press etc, 12 quid to replace the front bearing. Also good for sourcing the alternator slip ring bushes, and starter brushes. Nobody seems to fix starters and alternators any more.

I buy a breakers yard spare, then it's a simple swap to keep you on the road, while you get the other one fixed.

Reply to
ato_zee