Fiat Weekend ELX 1,6

Hi,Around my exaust pipe behind the engine is a bigger pipe about 3inches long which doesn't seem to have any purpose but now and again rattles,does
anyone now the purpose of this? Thanks Terence.
Some sort of heat shield I'd guess. Often these rust, loosen up a bit and rattle. Usually not an important part of the engine. USUALLY!