filling up fueltank Punto MK1

We have a problem with filling up the fueltank of our Punto MK1. The problem is this: when you put the tankpistol in the opening of the fillingtube
of the fueltank and you pull the trigger, the fuel starts flowing, but then the automatic shut off gets in, as if the fueltank was full. It isn't, and everytime you pull the trigger again it shuts off again. The only solution is that you have to pull the trigger for about 10 to 25 % of its capacity, than it works. But than you get a cramped hand. Is there anybody who has the same problem as we (my wife and i) have with filling up the fueltank. And yes; what is the solution?
greetings Nico

I find slightly inverting the nozzle helps a little. Other than that, I go to Morrisons where it seems their pumps operate much better with the punto's odd filler arrangement.
in article 4512e7da$0$17506$ snipped-for-privacy@news.kpnplanet.nl, EnTee at snipped-for-privacy@pegapen.com wrote on 21/09/2006 20:28:

Hi Nico ... Yes, we find filling our MK1 Punto Sporting a little difficult at times. I found the same issue on our previous Seicento, too.
The nozzle can actually go too far in, IMO. Insert only the very first part of the nozzle (the first 2", or so), which seems a little loose, but it's fine. Also, "clock" the nozzle, so the the handle is at the 7 o'clock position. Fill away ...
HTH,
Paul
1999 Fiat Punto Sporting 16V (Mk1) ... and some SAABs :) http://saab.go.dyndns.org
Paul, my Punto is also a 1998 Sporting 16V (Mk1) and indeed, turning the handle slightly to the right or left sometimes helps. It depends at witch petrolstation you fill up. But still it's difficult every time we fill up. greetings Nico
wrote on 21/09/2006 20:28:

EnTee wrote:

There is some kind of red insert in the filling pipe entrance which makes filling my diesel stilo awkward. Depending on the pump it can take about 4 mins to put in 5 gallons of diesel.
The not sure what the red insert is for, possibly anti siphon? It seems to cause the diesel to foam cutting off the pump unless i fill up slowly and hold the nozzle at the right angle. I was tempted to remove the insert somehow but the wife normally fills up so never bothered.
Has anyone removed there's?
Mike
Something to definately check is this:
Inside the rear wheel arch, tank filler side, check the pipes (1 main filler tube and two smaller tubes) for damage caused by the wheel/tyre rubbing them. This happened on our Punto HGT and the normal Punto tricky filling problems became unmanagable till I found the damed hose.
What happens is that the two smaller stiff thermo plastic pipes over time easy their way into the wheel are due to inadequate retraining to the main filler tube.
Nick /////

I have to agree with Nico on this. Our MK1 also had this problem (and our MK2 doesn't show any improvement either). But I've found out that when, at a fuelstation, our car is not 100% horizontal parked but tilting a little bit to the left (to the opposite side of the fillingopening so to speak) filling up is a lot easier and faster this way. This worked for the Mk1 as well as the MK2. I don't have an explanation for this little 'fenomenon', though. Maybe worth a try. Ciao, E-Cie.
It's worth a try. Ajeto, buur
gr Nico

... en voormekaar! Ciao, buur!
E-Cie schreef op 24-9-2006 :

Buren? :-) Ik had het probleem trouwens ook indertijd met mijn 55SX, ik ging altijd maar naar de iets duurdere pomp, niet constant een gevecht met tanken....
--
Grt. Frank
Email frank@usenet4all dot com

Tja Frank, achterburen (niet te verwarren met achterlijke buren ;-) ) En die tip kende ik nog niet; ik geloof dat ik 'm ook maar niet probeer gezien de huidige prijzen! Leuk dat je nog steeds meeleest, trouwens. Ciao, E-Cie.
E-Cie drukte met precisie uit :

Ja mee eens... gisteren nog getankt bij BP voor 1.33 euro.. heb maar niet vol getankt, hier om de hoek kan ik voor 12 cent minder terrecht... M'n VW heeft gelukkig geen problemen met tanken. Ik beloof niet altijd mee te blijven lezen hoor :-) Er is 1 ding wat ik weet, ik zal vanaf nu wel altijd cabrio blijven rijden, misschien dat Fiat nog met een fatsoenlijke 4 zitter komt een keer?
--
Grt. Frank
Email frank@usenet4all dot com
dot com

Altijd blijven hopen, Frank! ;-) Het ga je goed. Ciao, E-Cie.