Front noise (suspension) in 86 Audi 80

Hi I have an 86 Audi 80 (1800cc) recently I changed the upper suspension mount (and integral bearing) as I thought it was the cause of an intermittent clunk heard when I turn the front wheels. However it was not
the fault as the sound is still there. At the same time I replaced the CV boot and inspected the Cv joint and there is obvious signs of wear. The noise is not there all the time and it is not continuous such as when doing a U-turn (as would be expected if it was the CV). It sound nothing like worn CV's that I have heard before.
Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?
Cheers,
Chris.

careful what you say (or write)!! Wish you well.

Not a good idea to post Audi problems to a Fiat group. Some clunks are well tightned bolts of the wrong size. Some bolts are straight shank, only threaded at the end for the nut. These are a close fit and rust in place, locking them solid, so some dipstick of a mechanic undoes them with an airline impact driver, and not having the correct replacement puts in a corresponding size all thread, which is smaller. Tightens it well and all seems fine, until eventually it starts to move, Result a total pain in the arse to diagnose clunk. Also are you sure the rack isn't intermittently moving and that all of the cone and taper ball pins are tight?