Have stilos got better?? (Multiwagon)

Earlier post....

Are they any good? Very cheap for what they appear to be. Is there a catch? Any common problems?

TIA

New post....

I have seen postings about tracking probs etc I am soooooo close to buying one as discounts good just now. Most complaint seem to be about the service and dealers.

please tell me all you know..... anybody

Reply to
Eldrat the great

Hmm. don't own one, but here we go. I drive a Stilo 3-door Abarth, it's been mine for roughly 1.5 years now and I still love it.

I had some (major) problems, which mostly seem to be related to the fact that my car apparantly has been put together on a Monday morning. From the forum at

a gather that general build quality has improved over the last year or so, but you should still expect an Italian car. You *will* expierence stange rattles, cracks and other undefined noises.

On the plus side I find my dealer is very responsive to my complaints, the car looks *great* and it still turns heads. Most important : I still feel great driving it !

Good luck in deciding. Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Ligtvoet

Stilo 1.9 JTD (115) Active 5 door. I purchased the car pre registered with

18 miles on the clock for £8500 in Jan this yr. Very pleased with comfort, equipment levels, drive and economy(45 mpg average, mainly city driving). Mine was first registered in Nov 02 and I seemed to have escaped the minor (and some not so) niggles that other owners have had, touch wood!. Prbably because it's a later model or maybe I'm lucky, the only problem I have had so far is the release leaver for the sliding rear seat came off, I re-fitted it myselfin two mins. I have had 2 fiats before (mk1 uno & tipo) and the build quality is far far better.

Since I bought it I've replaced the wheels with the 16" chrome shadows, I bought them second hand off e-bay, the 15" wheels and plastic trim look awful. I got rid of the visteon radio cassette (who buys cassettes these days??!!) and fitted a sony CD/mp3/radio using a fascia adapter. The 5 door isn't as pretty as the 3 door but it has grown on me over the last 9 mths.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Well this is bit more promising.

I was starting to get depressed reading the complaints of bits missing and eating tyres.

The problems do seem to be on earlier models. I suppose that is almost expected with a new model as test department (public) carry out all the required road tests to highlight any component problems.

I have been offered a pre registered Stilo Multiwagon 1.9 JTD (115) Active or if I get my cash out quick enough one registered to me first for just short of £9k

It seems like a lot of car for the money.

I think I will wait until the dealer takes delivery as colour / trim choice limited.

Reply to
Eldrat the great

The tyre eating problem was it appears a final manufacturing/production error that also crept into the owners manual.

i.e. Front toe spec. at -2mm+/-1 instead of 0mm+/-1mm.

I would have thought this was now sorted on the production lines. If not soemthing easy to rectify.

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////

I bought a 9month old 1.6 Active as a replacement for my trusty old Punto 75 SX at a cost of about £8k. The only problem that I have heard of (and I have encountered) is a tendency for the bushes on the rear axle to wear out. I have had one rear axle replaced under warranty (condition of purchase).

Having said that, the equipment levels are great and even with the petrol engine, I am averaging 40 mpg (worst figures so far = 36mpg and best 44mpg). Mine came with alloys, tilt and slide rear seats and the 'sky window' (terrific stuff - flick a switch and you have nigh on got a cabriolet).

If I have one tiny misgiving it's the power steering which I find a little bit over the top given the weight of the car but then it's miles better than that on some of the Rovers, Fords and Vauxhalls I have had to drive recently.

Paul E snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.CHINESE.com

Earlier post....

Are they any good? Very cheap for what they appear to be. Is there a catch? Any common problems?

TIA

New post....

I have seen postings about tracking probs etc I am soooooo close to buying one as discounts good just now. Most complaint seem to be about the service and dealers.

please tell me all you know..... anybody

Reply to
Paul Everest

Thats always the problem buying pre-registered but then you will be saving several thousand pounds on list.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I take it your'e not driving around with the 'CITY' setting displayed on your console?

The city setting will make your steering lighter, and after all, it is the first all-electric power steering system in production on the world's roads!

Adam H

Reply to
Rev. Alfa Adam

Nope. I only use CITY for parking. If I drove on CITY mode (as I have done once) it is like living on a knife edge when turning sharp corners at speed - exhilerating but scary Paul E snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.CHINESE.com (have a CHINESE takeaway before replying)