Head gasket changing on Cinquecento

Hello all,

Is it difficult to change a head gasket on a Cinquecento? I know how to do it on a Mini, but surely a Cinquecento is more difficult? What problems will I encounter should I try it myself? Does anyone have a link to a description of the proces?

Reply to
Dennis Jansen

If you can change the gasket on the Mini, the Cinq will give you few problems. I changed the gasket recently on a FIRE 55S punto and found it to be a job that can be done in 2 hours. If you have a similar FIRE then read on.

Make sure you secure the engine at TDC in cylinder 1 - check the Haynes manual and the crank pully. Remove the timing belt, drain the water and disconect both sets of manifolds. Undo the head bolts in the reverse order and off it comes. The most difficult part is refitting the timing belt and possibly the exhaust manifold bolts (rusty). A new head gasket is about £7 from a motor factors. If the engine is losing water, then it is almost certain to be a pit linking the water channels to the cylinder caused by corrosion. It is remarkable how small this can be and yet cause so much water loss. Pitting the size of a grain of rice and about 0.5 mm deep will drain an engine in about 2 weeks. Have the head skimmed - about £25 in a engineering firm.

The crank pulley will come off easily as it is held by 4 bolts - no large Titanic bolt that needs an airgun to shift it.

Reply to
Paul