head gasketts

42,000 miles on my punto, my head gaskets away, is this down to bad luck, bad cars or bad driving, i was wondering if this is a common fault with puntos, i was thinking of getting another one, but not so sure. gaskett kit
35 pounds, thats not 2 bad, but the labour will be a fortune.

Hi Thomas,
i cant answer your question about bad driving or bad cars as i dont own a punto, but what i will say is, do the head gasket your self.
It really isnt hard, any haynes manual tels you how. It is always best to get the head skimmed as well, which will prob cost about 20. Just look in your local yellow pages for grinders and give them a ring. they do that sort of thing all the time.
With changing the gasket your self, all you have to do is make sure you remember where everything goes. i always find the best way of doing this is to take some detailed photo's, especially easy if you are using digital.
Get your self a Haynes manual and give it a go, its worth it, and will save you 200 in labour.
hope this helps.
the headgasget is quite do-able if your handy with the spanners but whatever you do make sure you dont put the gasget on upside down. if you buy a fiat gasget alto means top, its printed on the gasget :) good luck

the head skimmed, new gasket and pressure tested. Also as the garage had got the head off, I asked them to replace the cam belt.
I think alot of Puntos have problems with their head gaskets around this age/milage. Possible design fault.
simonbray beweerde :

It is...
--
Grt. Frank