Marea Passanger seat belt warnnig light

Hi,
my 98 marea seat belt passanger warnnig light is permenantly on. It doesnt matter if the seat is occupied, or the belt is secure.
Any ideas? thanks,
Stephen.
Is this because somebody has turned the off the passenger airbag via the diable switch which take the ignition key?
Nick /////

Meant to qualify my response in that there might be a releationship beetween seatbelt and airbag for front seat rear facing baby seats.
Also, does the light go out if you sit in the seat and fasten the seatbelt.
Also does the Marea have seatbelt pretensioners. Could be that you have a defective pretension.
Nick /////

Whats a pretensioner?
thanks for those pointers. I'll check them out and let you know if I find anything.