Multijet Punto

as posted here a month or so ago I serviced my new 1.3 multijet punto to save paying the exorbitant fees the dealers would have us pay! ... as mentioned at the time, after changing the oil and a couple of filters most of the service was a check only situation ... I duly serviced my car to find now that I get at least another 5mpg on my fuel! ... I'm grateful to high heaven but how on earth does that work? , nothing has been touched bar replacing oil and filters

would I have had this advantage with a Fiat service, I wonder

omega

Reply to
Omega

Well there are a number of items going on here

1) Old oil with contaminents will not 'slip' as easily as new oil 2) Oil make differences (all within spec but different tolerances) 3) New air filter will affect air/fuel ratio espcially if it was fairly well contaminated 4) Tyres pressures - despite the manufacturer's owner's handbook recommendations to check tyre pressure (and fluids) weekly we all just about never do this. So with tyres the pressures can lower slowly over time. We don't see/feel the degraded pressures but this sure does affect the fuel consumption/rolling resistance.

Any proper service will enforce the routine itmes we should be checking weekly.

All the above could explain you new lease of fuel life :-)

Big bonus points for self service by competant! owners ( NOTE! - outside of manufacturer's warranty period)

1) You save money 2) You know the work has been done 3) You learn, learn learn 4) You can keep far more detailed notes of the service items, adjustments, problems, rectifications, paint touch-ups, etc. etc. than ANY garage IF you are prepared to put the "Tender Loving Care" into your service routines. Making detailed notes at one service makes the next service so much better in terms of coverage, possible problems, ordering parts like brake pads etc. ahead of the servicing day. Makes lifes so much easier.
Reply to
Nick /////