Multipla 1.9JTD fault code P1761

Hi all,
I have a 2001 deisel Multipla that won't go above 80-85mph. Reasonable amount of power up to 3000 revs, but after that nothing. You can push it in
2nd gear to 4000 - but theres no point, it's quicker to change gear.
I took it to my local garage who got an error code of P1761, which they believe "could" be the mass airflow sensor, or a problem with a sensor on the common rail. The first part costs around 85, the second 450/500. I have one of those "not really worth the paper they are written on" guarantees that the garage I recently bought the car from supplied.
Any ideas as to exactly what this code means?
Thanks in advance
PMS
PMS <pms@ wrote:

are you proficient enuf with a voltmeter to test it? if so could you probe it and tell me the results at idle mid and full throttle?
Hi,
had similar problem myself, unplug the wire into the mass flow sensor and try driving without it, if it improves, its the sensor (probably! it was on my car). Check out the tech FAQ's at http://www.multiplaowners.co.uk/ for details.
Good luck, Andrew.