Need info on wheels

I have a '75 124 Spider and am going to install a set of Panasport wheels. I need to know the size and lug pattern, and I would like to go with a wider
tire so I guess I need to know how wide I can get away with without any modifications. Also, I'm looking at going with Pirelli tires and need to know what size tire I should go with. Nothing too thin; I hate the lowered look....just something sporty. Any advice on a better tire than Pirelli?
Thanks :)
I have bought Pirellis in the past mainly because they were always decent tires, had good handling characteristics and were Italian, of course. Now, though, I have found Conti Extreme Contact tires to handle better, last well and are reasonable, if you can find them in the right size for your wheels. The one con is that they have stiff sidewalls so they follow pavment irregularities. Main pro is that they handle great in dry and well in rain and even snow. They look good too.
profdave
On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 07:07:03 -0500, "Cindyjo"

Tyre choice is a VERY MUCH vehicle make, model and model version specific choice. In performance tyre tests you will find that tyre manufacturers/importers will find out exactly the make, model and version of the test car before deciding wether or not to enter the test (Playoff).
A tyre that works for one car could be an absolute disaster on another. ( I can mention a personal disater on this front).
By all means ask, ask, ask for people's experiences and opinions but do be very cautious with the repsonses.
If you get 5 people who say they have your extact make/model/verion of your car and have no concerns, have praises etc. for Brand X, Type Y and Version Y thn this is a good starting point. Likewise the manufacturer's original fit is in nearly 100% of cases is a goo safe starting point. There will be far worse options and far better options. At then end of the day your own driving style and capabilites will come into effect. You may be the person who likes to gently push a tyre through its performance threshold to be rewarded with staged feedback of the tyres inability to cope or you may prefer that "full on" to adhesion/handling limit and enjoy one's personal recovery skills/abvility in containing the situation.
Summary. In most cases the manufacturer'smake/ model/OEM fit will be adequate, safe and reasonbly priced.
Sadly there is no "Try before you buy (on YOUR car)" available in the UK, or any other country ( to my knowledge).
Good hunting :-)
Nick /////