Only have one red key, do i need blues??

When I bought my car from a garage I was only given a red key and heard there should be blue ones??? i have been driving with the master key for a few months with no probs (only thing I've had no probs with so far!!)Do I need the blue ones and how do I go about getting them? can I just have one copied like a normal house key?

Reply to
beccymarkwillow

You are in luck.

Providing your Red key is a burgandy colour and abviously not painted or otherwise stained then you have the Master key. This is so important as it is this key that allows/denies access to all other Smart keys. Normally people get the blue but not the master key and this results in a £600 to £1000 bill!!!! (engine ECU has to be replaced).

The importance of the Red Master key can not be over emphasised.

Your Fiat dealer will be able to order new Blue keys and use the Master key to program them into the system. When this is done all other missing Blue keys will neutralised and not allowed to start the engine (but they still can open the doors and release the steering lock).

Please also do a little Internet searching and Auto Electrical services searching. They may be able to provide Blue keys cheaper than Fiat. If they can then get a quote and see if your Fiat dealer will match it.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////

Well if its like most, you are fine driving with only the red key, that is until you lose it, then its probably big bucks (more than the value of the car) to replace the complete security system. Most can't be readily copied, some can be programmed in car from the master key, if you buy an unprogrammed key from a franchised dealer.

Reply to
ato_zee

Reading this I am a little concerned. My wife took delivery of a new Doblo last week and we were only given 2 blue keys. Is the dealer pulling a fast one by keeping the master?

John

Reply to
John Moppett

I had a blue key cut/programmed from a red key (essential) for £20 at a local cobblers who had a side-line in key cutting. Worth a try.

Reply to
Another Dave

The Fiat Dobló has the Fiat-Code 2 system. All new Fiats (from the year 2000 until now) are delivered with 2 blue keys. You can see if your car has a system 2 by examining the bit of the key; there should be 2 small circle's with a small triangle above it. Above the triangle there will be the figure

  1. So, don't be concerned :-) Happy Italian motoring!

Greetings, E-Cie

Reply to
E-Cie

painted or

important as it

missing Blue

John When I bought a new Fiat some years ago my dealer gave me the option of having all three keys viz 2 blue and one red,I opted for them to keep my red key in their safe for safety reasons.I think you should insist on having the red key-after all you have paid for it!!!. Regards sparky

Reply to
sparkey