P REG Cinquecento lights

Just bought a secondhand Cinquecento SX ....no handbook....Is it normal for the side and headlights not to come on until the ignition is on????
-- Jim Stewart.
Renfrew SCOTLAND.
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:36:13 +0100, jim.gm4dhj wrote:

Al Fiat's have that yes, if you want some light without ignition on, turn the key one step under the of position, while pressing the little button near the key.
--
Grt. Frank
email: frank snipped-for-privacy@wilgeenbagger-hotmail.com
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:57:14 +0100, jim.gm4dhj wrote:

Fiat already does this for years now :-)
--
Grt. Frank
email: frank snipped-for-privacy@wilgeenbagger-hotmail.com
Certainly fooled my last MoT tester!
But WHY do they do it?.....to save you leaving your lights on????
-- Jim Stewart. GM4DHJ Renfrew SCOTLAND.

On the downside, as I've found twice, the heavy headlight load/ampage goes through the ignition switch, which finally packs up. The failure mode seems to be that the small push on quarter inch blades oxidise, start to warm up with the ampage, this gets transmitted into the body of the switch, once it starts it accelerates and then gives out at the most inconvenient time. Catch it in time and you can replace the blade with a heavy duty one, they are around, but you may have to file the old one off, after freeing it from the block, as there isn't enough spare wire.

Surely not - the headlights are normally powered through relays, aren't they?
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:45:01 +0100, Mark W wrote:

Ofcourse they are
--
Grt. Frank
email: frank snipped-for-privacy@wilgeenbagger-hotmail.com

Cinq may be different to the Uno but I suspect not. Had ignition switch failure on both Mk1 and Mk2 Unos. Havn't had it on the Cinq so far, touch wood.
On one occasion my problem arose on a cold snowy night, with headlights, heater fan, radio, wipers, heated rear screen, all of which go through the ignition switch, on. I estimated 6 or so amps for the lights, and overall about 9-10 amps. a bit too much for comfort with a quarter inch push on blade. Everything went, not good on a motorway, at night, in fact potentially fatal when all your lights go out and the engine stops. It's not a by the roadside fix either.
jim.gm4dhj skrev:

In my Cinq Sporting it was normal :-)
Do you plan to park the car with the lights on.......?
--
Mvh. Sren C. Fischer
http://www.fischer-streton.dk

yes and I now can....