Panda master cylinder

Have a leak where the master cylinder bolts to the servo unit. A garage I called said I would have to get a new master cylinder. Surely it is just a
seal problem and kits are available. I use the garage often and they know me well so why do they suggest a new cylinder? Is the leak likely to be due to a crack in the body of the cylinder rather than a seal?

It's a right pain in the arse to get apart, ideally you need to photograph the assy as it comes apart (there are several dished washers and bits that need to go the right way round, or you'll get brake failure, or it'll all have to come apart again). Biggest problem in dismantling is a thick plastic washer that seems to have been put in with a press. So sure you can get a kit, but is a garage going to spend the time, and be legally liable for unlimited damages if it fails and causes an accident? Are you prepared to pay for the time involved? It's a safety critical part. A wheel cylinder is a different matter, you will still have some braking. Not that it's worth putting new seals in an old cylinder, fluid takes up moisture, which pits the cylinder walls so even with new seals it soon leaks again, then you get fluid on the shoes, so you need new shoes.

Thanks for the info. A garage nearby has quoted 25 + vat for a new master cylinder so will probably go that route.