Punto

It about those blasted keys, again! This post is for information for anyone intent on buying a used one. Rule 1) Make sure you have the RED key supplied with the car. Rule 2) Make sure you have the RED key supplied with the car.

Reason; I bought one for my daughter, being a Ford Cortina/diesel/ please keep my cars simple type of fella. It seemed a cracker. Still is. BUT... then she had her handbag stolen, with, yup, you've guessed, her one and only key to the car (no telling kids). Had to replace the ECU, and the barrels (if you end up doing this... don't forget the fuel filler cap :-) at a very good price, but we still are left with one key. Went to my guy, and tried to get a new one cut, but he's out of blanks with the MeggaMoss chip. He's going to search around for a new supplier.

Moral: Buy one, but Make sure you have the RED key supplied with the car, so you can reprogramme new ones.

Skysurfer

Reply to
Biggles

Biggles stelde dit idee voor :

Not all of the mk1 Punto have red key's... some do indeed yes.

Reply to
Draak

Not quite right.

There was an article in 'Car Mechanics' a few months back that explained how to disable the Fiat CODE immobiliser system and replace it with an aftermarket unit.

Not only that..... if you buy one with only a blue key, Timpsons can copy that key.

Word of warning, though, they can only copy non-remote type keys, so if you have remote locking you have to disable the alarm / locking system to use a Timpson's key.

Reply to
SteveH

Only very early ones didn't have a red key.

Reply to
SteveH

Just found that out. My local Timpsons can do, so they say. I'll post if they can, & the motor's running...

Get my shoes done at the same time... :-)

Skysurfer

Reply to
Skysurfer

You mention that not all the mk1 Punto's have red keys - do you happen to know when Fiat implemented this?

I have a 95 N reg punto and I have two blue keys for it. Never had any trouble at all as far as keys are concerned. Plenty trouble with the rest of the motor though!

Fix It Again Tomorrow

hehehe

Reply to
Jane Higginson

I am on the edge of my seat - what is Rule 3 !!!???

:oD

Reply to
The Enforcer

Jane Higginson drukte met precisie uit :

Oops. missed this one. No i have no idea, i suppose that those without a red key dont have an immobiliser. When you start a car with one, you see a yellow/orange key in your dahs. If you dont have it, you probably dont need a red key.

Reply to
Draak