PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Threaded View

Somebody please help! My punto keeps blowing its 15amp service fuse so I am
constantly left without indicators, speedometer and fuel gauge.  Can
anybody tell me why this is? Has anyone out there experienced the same
thing? HELP!

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

non comprate punto!
no buy punto!

--
_______________________________

http://ilsoldo.altervista.org /
Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Punto's are great !

--
Grt. Frank
Email frank@usenet4all dot com

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

HEY! Watch it! Be careful what you're saying in this group. There's nothing
wrong with a Punto. Punto!

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

E-Cie was zeer hard aan het denken :

Hmm.. point taken i guess :-)

--
Grt. Frank
Email frank@usenet4all dot com

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

jillo heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :

Well, i supose somewhere must be a shortcut, good luck finding it :S

--
Grt. Frank
Email frank@usenet4all dot com

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Many thanks, I will

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

I had the same problem several years ago. The problem was a short
circuit inside one of the brake light units. Disconnect the brake light
switch and see if the fuse still blows, or watch carefully if the fuse
blows the moment you touch the brake pedal. If the fuse only blows when
actuating the brake, take the rear light assemblies out and look for
possible shorts. In my case the problem only existed with very low
temperatures. Some hot glue helped fixing it.

hth, Heiner

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

With a bit of DIY I attached a length of twin flex with a 12V panel bulb
across a fuse, then when the fuse blows, the light comes on. That
way you know if the fuse blows when you switch something on, or
if when the brake lights come on, or if it is totally random. Random
often means that a wire has chafed through to the body of the car.
Maybe the interior fan motor has dried out bearings and is drawing
excessive startup current, likewise the wiper motor, or water in a
lamp assy. You don't say whether it has always done it, or
whether you have just bought a s/h and inherited someone elses
problem.

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

I've had the car for a year and a half.  It only started doing it a week
ago.  Many thanks for your tips, I shall check it all out. cheers.

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

hi jillo,

Just wondered if you noticed my post earlier yesterday about the same
issue - what year is your Punto?

The problem only happened to me yesterday and last night I tried a
couple of new fuses but both of them blew pretty much straight away.
Just wondering, do yours blow as soon as you try the ignition after
changing it, or does it work for a bit?

I'll keep posting to this thread if I discover any changes and would
appreciate it if you could post if you find the solution.

Cheers.

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Hi Richard.  My car is 1995, N reg. It does start up after I've put a new
fuse in but it blows again soon after. I haven't sussed out yet whether
its as soon as I pull away, or when I use the indicators for the first
time.  I was also wondering if it was when I put the car into reverse as I
always have to reverse out of my street and this is when it happens?  I
shall keep you posted. I've resigned myself to taking it to a garage so I
shall let you know what they say.  Keep in touch.
Many thanks.

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Well, last night I determined that the indicators worked fine while
parked, but as I pulled away they died.  I saw the post this morning
mentioning the possibility of a short to the brake lights in the rear
cluster - this is potentially an option as I'm pretty sure looking back
that last night as I started to pull away a car turned into the end of
the street so I will have broke to let it pass.  This in all likeliness
was the point at which it went, as they were working fine until this point.

I think tonight I will stick a new  fuse in, turn the indicators on and
try the brake.  I suspect that it is in the left cluster that the
problem lies (if it is indeed the problem) as it will have been my left
hand signal I had on when moving off.

If I can't sort it tonight I'll probably take it somewhere tomorrow, but
at least if I can narrow it down a bit it might not take them as long to
find the problem and therefore not cost me as much!

Will let you know my findings.

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Het is zo dat Richard Conway formuleerde :

I just got another idea, do one of you have a towball? Maybe there is
some electricity wet there?

--
Grt. Frank
Email frank@usenet4all dot com

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Cheers for the input - I don't anyway.  I really do think that it might
be to do with the brake lights, as it does seem that it may be when
pressing the brake while the indicator is on.

If this is the case, can anybody suggest what I should look for if I
remove the lighting cluster?  I can't see that the brake lights coming
on would in any way create a short to ground, but could it be that there
is a short between the brake lights/indicator that makes the break light
draw excessive current through the indicator circuit?  Would brake
lights usually be fused at a higher value than the inidicators?  The
indicator/system fuse is rated at 15 amps.

Cheers.

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

but that is possible. The electrical connections (including the ground
connections) within the lighting cluster are made of relatively long
strips of uninsulated metal melted into the plastic casing. If they come
loose, they can bend, touch and make a short. It is easy to see and to
fix once you have taken the unit out.
With my punto, the short was only created at very low temperatures
(below -10C) due to length changes. Impossible to find if you take the
car into a heated garage, and don't know what to look for. I used hot
glue to fix the problem.

hth Heiner

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Cheers for that.  It does seem to fit in with my problem as when I got
home last night and tried a new fuse it all worked fine and didn't blow,
when I tried it again this morning (car totally frozen) it blew straight
away.

Oh, and it is definately the break lights that are causing it - nothing
at all to do with the indicators it would seem, as I tried both
indicators first and they worked but as soon as I tried the brake (on
its own) I heard the fuse go!

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Okay, final update...

It seems that Heiner was totally right - I suggest you try this.  I took
off one of the lighting clusters, dismantled it and found that there was
a point where the positive for the brake light was extremely close to
the ground and was probably shorting when the metals contracted with the
cold.  I suggest you take yours apart and have a look in case it is the
same problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Hi Richard.  Sorry, just saw your message about you having solved your
problem, so ignore my previous one.
Saves us a trip to the garage, eh??
Many thanks for all your help.
Jill

Re: PUNTO 55 S - FUSE BLOWING PROBLEM

Hi Richard. I solved my problem, and from the sound of it yours is the
same.  I took off the rear left hand lighting cluster and discovered that
one of the metal 'teeth' inside the plastic connecting unit (don't know
the actual name of it but it's the piece that connects the clutster to the
car) was bent back (somebody being careless when they changed a bulb,
perhaps).  I was able to reshape it and now I don't have the problem -
even in freezing temperatures.  Have you sorted your problem out yet?

Site Timeline