Punto 55 SX gears sticking

Please can anyone help!!?? My gears keep sticking mainly in 1st and 2nd, If i try and drop to 2nd it jams in neutral then if I've stopped at a junction or roundabout I can't get it into 1st to move off again. It doesn't happen all the time it's happens maybe 3 out of 5 drives. I have to stop the car put on my hazards,take foot off the clutch and just wait till it goes in again.Have just had a full service and the gearbox oil has been changed and it still sticks.Have had car for nearly a year with 66,000 miles on clock and it's only been happening for about a month.Please any suggestions?????

Reply to
beccymarkwillow

Linkage problem.

Had this on our Punto HGT.

Put the gear lever in neutral. Now move the gear lever to each of the gate positions 1, 3, 5 and R (but don't select the gear, i.e. push forwards or backwords). Now quickly release the gear lever. It should rapidly spring back to the 2/3 neutral rest position.

The gear selection is cable driven by two cable. One does the forward/backwars the other the lateral. This lateral cable connects to an arm/actuator assembly on top of the gearbox. This is just a simple steel shaft in an alloy housing and in siezes up. The are cheap to buy and easy to replace.

When I got my new one I dismantelled it and re-assembled it with MRM/molly grease on the shaft before refitting.

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////

Thanks very much for that, having a neighbour looking at it this weekend.Didn't want to take to a garage unless I really had to as I think they see me coming!!!

Reply to
beccymarkwillow

Finally got gear box looked at, the problem was a small valve which had leaked and made the clutch lose pressure. Was a small job and was pretty cheap.

Reply to
beccymarkwillow

Thanks for the update. You did say if the gear lever was sticking as I commented. Could have taken the diagnosis further for you! :-)

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////