Punto alternator belt

Hello everyone,
I have recently tried to replace the alternator belt on my 1997 Punto 1100. Though replacing it is rather straightforward, tensioning seems to be
difficult. Whatever I do I cannot tension it sufficiently as for it not to squeal.
Does anybody know of any tools or tricks that can help with tensioning it? Note that the car is not equipped with A/C or power steering.
Thanks,
George
On 1-Oct-2003, "George Michalopoulos"

Sure it is the belt and that it is of good quality and correct for the vehicle? During the daytime the only load on the alternator is minor electrical loads, ignition doesn't take much, neither do radio, clock etc. So it shouldn't squeal as the alternator should turn freely also the water pump if driven by the same belt. Bearings squeal - particularly if the belt is over tensioned. Oil leaks, if it spreads to the belt system can cause problems. Once oil gets on the belt it is a problem to get rid of it. Put on a new belt and it picks up the oil. Wrong cross section of belt can also cause problems as can stretch with cheapo belts. Tension them and a few days later they've stretched.