Punto bonnet catch wont release

Could anybody tell me to release the bonnet on a 2001 Punto? The bonnet release wire has broken, pulling from inside of the car just pulls the wire out of the inner cable. I can just see some of the
mechanism by squinting up through the gap in the front bumper and could probably get a long thin screwdriver in. Advice would be appreciated,