Punto Gearbox ?

The son of the guy who does our window cleaning has a 1996 FIAT PUNTO SX. he does not know the CC size of the engine. and I am not sure of the mileage on it.
Last week it stuck in 2nd gear. He managed to nurse it to a garage and they got it " Unstuck" However later on 2ND gear could not be selected. The garage want Circa 200 to fix it. The care is maybe not worth spending that on he thinks.
However I wondered was this a stock fault of some kind Could it be a linkage problem in any way. He is not a do it your self guy but I thought I would ask.
I am used to car mechanics and might be able to advise him. If its too be scrapped I don't think much cash around to replace it.
Johnny UK.

It'll be a 1.1 or 1.2 engine more than likely - it depends on the exact age, as ISTR that 1996 was around the change from a 1.1 to a 1.2 lump, and I can't remember every combination of trim and engine, but that's most likely.
Fiat 'boxes are prone to sticking - it's usually the selectors but they also benefit from an oil change to synthetic oil. 200 sounds a lot to fix it - unless they're replacing the 'box with one from a scrapped car.
On 19-Aug-2006, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

Ask in
http://www.fiatforum.com /
Use the search facility. They cover specific models and have technical sections. Others for tuning, body mods etc.

One thing to check is whether there is any oil in it. ZC90 isn't expensive, I stick with Fiats own if you can. Clutch and disk jobs, can be left with the box near empty. I've known them pull the pull the whole hub and shaft if the disk is rusted on solid, loosing most of the transmission oil in the process. Often the oil is what was put in when the car was built. Also check clutch action and engine mounts.

Makes it 10 years old so a few basic mechanical checks are in order.