Punto Handbrake

Hey all

I'm a bit convuzzled and was hoping someone here might be able to help.

The handbrake on my 1995 Punto 90 has never been great and only just passed through the MOT last year and was looking to buy new parts. Before I bought said parts (Shoes and /or drums) I checked the wear limits on the parts installed and they all seem to be within tolerance. (Shoes with 4mm friction material, drums at JUST under 181mm)

I replaced both cables before the last MOT and like I said, the guy let it through with an advice note.

I have adjusted the handbrake adjuster well beyond the limits FIAT intended but still to no avail.

Please...someone gimme a clue as to what's going on.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

top tip too improve your punto handbrake. slacked the handbrake cable right off at the handbrake leaver. pump the brake pedal, you should hear a noise from the rear drums. re-tighten the handbrake cable.

if the brakes still no good, replace the shoes. the automatic adjusters on the brake shoes are very poor and ware out which will be the case.

Reply to
undergraduate-car-mechanic

just done what you suggested, no improvement :-(

off we go to the parts dealer to get some new shoes i guess.

thanks for the reply and help.

Reply to
Dan

seems there might be something i'm missing here.

New shoes fitted but still no improvement. They seemed to adjust OK after fitting since the required clicking noise did emminate from both sides but the handbrake lever is nearly vertical with very little friction.

Help?

Reply to
Dan