Punto Mk2 1,2 16v, how change timing belt?

Hi everyone
This is my first post, hope someone out there will know this. Iíve promised to help a friend of mine to change the water pump, timing belt + tensioner. He bought a "Haynes" manual and the job is
described quite well. The problem is that I donít have the 2 tools required to lock the cams, neither the 4 tools required to zero the crank (rods going down through the spark plug holes). I can have them made where I work, but Iíve never come across a petrol engine needing such tools when changing timing belt...Will I get a good result just if I mark the wheels and swap the belt or are all these tools really needed??? Please note that only one cam pulley since the other cam turns by a tothed gear. Forgot to say that the car is a year 2000 model. Please excuse my english, promise to work on it...
Did a Renault clio (8v) some weeks ago, piece of cake. And a Audi a4 1,9tdi (diesel) last week (not a piece of cake but it runs well). Has also done a few Audi a6 2,5 tdi as well, horrible sight when the timing belt snaps...
Thanx in advance
Regards Fredrik, Sweden
‚úĖ
I've not yet had to replace a cam belt on a Punto 16V. My wife's 1.8ie HGT Punto is due for one soon and I intend to do it myself. I also have the Fiat and Haynes workshop manuals and note the method and tools required with interest.
I have been told that even with the cam belt tensioner released there is not much slack in the belt and removal and replacement is a little tight and being able to lock everything down makes things easier. Also remember that the procedures are written for belt replacment AND engine rebuild. If a rebuild then one would need the tools. For a replacement then due care and attention is probably Ok.
Some tips I can suggest are:
A) loosen the crank pulley nut/nuts 1) remove the spark plugs! 2) put the engine a TDC or BDC (top dead center / bottom dead center) 3) put in 1st/reverse gear 4) lock the flywheel 5) mark existing belt, pulleys, tensioner etc. with chalk or other maker 6) be extra careful to ensure the two cam shaft pulleys/sprockets are accuraqtely measured relative to each other 7) use an old cambelt to lock the camshaft pulleys realtive to each other 8) take it slow and easy.
Nick /////

http://www.autoforumz.com/Fiat-Punto-Mk2-16v-change-timing-belt-ftopict102216.html
Add pictures here
‚úĖ