Punto Parking lights

Just bought a new Punto. Am surprised to find that it is not possible to have side (parking) lights on without ignition being on. Is this a Fiat characteristic? I've never had a car without functioning parking lights
before. Seems irresponsible, perhaps even illegal under some circumstances to me. Or am I misreading the instruction manual?
In fact just checked Highway Code
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/22.shtml
Paragraph 223 states
All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph. Law RVLR reg 24
begin 666 num_223.gif M1TE&.#EA% `0`*(``%6[_X[1_R*G_[OD_^[X_\SK_P"9_____R'Y! `````` M+ `````4`! ```-/>+K<_K %88*:8AP"#"B,4!!B(1#F$0`JJQ#:48+D48"#

or
Isn't there a trick with the key you can do to leave them on? There was on my Uno. Al

road
states that external lights can only be switched on when the key is in position MAR, elsewhere it describes the Parking position on the ignition switch and the trick to which you refer! Many thanks.