Punto Speedometer Troubles

I have a 1996 Fiat Punto and my speedometer is really starting to bother me. The needle will randomly go to the maximum then go to 25 mph and stay there even though Iím going 40 mph on a double carriageway.
Somedays I can drive it without having any problems then somedays itíll do the same thing. Iíve also noticed that it rarely happens when driving at night - when itís considerably cooler. Is this a side effect from a deeper problem or what? How much would it cost to fix it.
--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.AutoForumz.com interface
Thread archive:

Could possibly be the sender unit. When they get old they get temperamental and often play up when they get warm. Being mounted on the gearbox heat takes it time to soak into the sensor. Sometimes cold is the issue. There is of course a potential wiring / dirty connector issue.
Sensors are not that expensive so I would start there first.
Nick /////
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Thanks I will take it into the garage but iím worried it might be a clutch or gear problem
"Nick /////" wrote:
message > > >I have a 1996 Fiat Punto and my speedometer is really > starting to > > bother me. > > The needle will randomly go to the maximum then go to 25 mph > and stay > > there even though I'm going 40 mph on a double carriageway. > > Somedays I can drive it without having any problems then > somedays > > it'll do the same thing. > > I've also noticed that it rarely happens when driving at > night - when > > it's considerably cooler. > > Is this a side effect from a deeper problem or what? How > much would it > > cost to fix it. > > > > -- > > Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.AutoForumz.com > > interface > > Thread archive: > > http://www.AutoForumz.com/Punto-Speedometer-Troubles-ftopict228688.html > > > Could possibly be the sender unit. When they get old they get > temperamental > and often play up when they get warm. > Being mounted on the gearbox heat takes it time to soak into > the sensor. > Sometimes cold is the issue. There is of course a potential > wiring / dirty > connector issue. > > Sensors are not that expensive so I would start there first. > > Nick /////
Add pictures here
‚úĖ